If you are a foreigner who plans to stay in Spain, you probably consider opening a bank account in Spain. Currently there are two types of bank accounts: resident and non-resident.


Requirements for opening an account:


- applicants must be aged 18 or over

- photographic proof of identity (passport or National Identity Card from the country of origin for each of the applicants)

- proof of occupation or status (employment contract/payslip, letter from accountant/lawyer, pension or disability payment confirmation, student card)

- residents also need to produce their Foreigner Identification Number and certificate (Número de Identificación de Extranjeros or NIE)

- confirmation of address (utility bill, driving licence or council tax bill; proof of address must have been issued within the last 3 months)


Moreover, theoretically, within 15 days after opening a account, you have to present acertificado de no residencia for justifying your non-resident status. You can apply and obtain your acertificado de no residencia at local police station. In fact, in Spain, many banks do not require you to show acertificado de no residencia and you can avoid this situation by going to another branch or another bank if they ask you to present the proof of acertificado de no residencia.


In Spain, note that every two years the bank will check your non-resident status. If you have already converted to a resident, you have to inform the bank and provide a copy of your tarjeta de residencia.


In addition, banks normally may not be willing to issue non-resident a credit card or provide overdraft protection. If it is possible, they will charge you much higher fees than residents.

Image of How to find a teaching job in Universities in China
Rate and Comment
Image of Driving license
Driving license

Can you drive with international driving license in China? The answer is no. China does not recognize your international driving license and therefore

Read more →




Already have an account? Login here

contact us


Add Job Alert